Thursday 19 June 2014

Sunday Lunch at The Royal Oak near Newbury

Image source: contributors to Google Maps
Just south of Newbury in West Berkshire lies the village of Ecchinswell (which is actually in the county of Hampshire). It's small but beautifully formed, with a village hall, pub and a church. The pub is what attracts many people to the village as it offers real ales, a relaxed atmosphere, and a combination of pub and restaurant food.

I visited the Royal Oak with Mr. B's family on a Sunday and it was busy with other people who were out celebrating Father's Day with their loved ones. That meant there were a combination of young and old families alike. Luckily for us, many of the hyperactive children were in a room at the back of the pub, whereas we got a table in one of the front rooms.



We were there for lunch, and it was still heaving when we got there for 2pm - a sign of a well respected pub. With both locals and visitors filling up the tables and bar stools, the staff members help to make everyone feel welcome, without losing the all important personal touch of a village pub.

Enough about that, let's talk food. The menu of the day had a good mix of meals, ranging from a Sunday roast to burgers; with a group of five of us it was only natural that we would end up ordering an eclectic mix...

Mr. B's dad and sister chose the fish and chips, which as you can see, has a great big portion of battered fish, even dominating the chips that are on the plate. There is also a healthy amount of peas to make sure punters get enough of their greens whilst they're avoiding cooking at home!


Onto the roasts now, which is what Mr. B, his mum, and I chose. Mr. B had the pork option, whereas we went for the roast beef which was served with a Yorkshire pudding. The thing that impressed me was how much meat was actually served to us, as many places are often stingy with their portion sizes. Thankfully the meat was tender and delicious, meaning I polished the whole lot off and only left a bit of cabbage on my plate. A difficult sacrifice, I'm sure you will agree...



Miraculously my appetite returned when the dessert menus were passed around and I decided that I could probably manage a little something sweet. So I chose the apple and cinnamon crumble, served with an entire bowl of custard. I'm always won over by this flavour combination, so I would not hesitate to recommend this dish to you!


All in all, the Royal Oak is a great place to go to for a Sunday lunch, but be prepared to have a bit of a wait if you are going for a special occasion like Father's Day. It's a good idea to book ahead; you can find all of the important details online here. It's also worth considering the Royal Oak for a quick pint after a long country walk - dogs are welcome which is always a nice touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Let me know! I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment.