Tuesday 3 June 2014

Toronto: The Best Ever City Break

In April I wrote a post about a few of the things I wanted to do whilst in Toronto - my first time visiting since 2006! Having returned from my holiday last weekend, I have finally gained some control of everyday life after combating an inevitable bout of jet lag, and I'm ready to spill the beans on my trip.

So did I get to do everything I wanted to do? You bet! So sit back and have a look at a few of the pictures from my trip....

Niagara Falls

We were in Niagara Falls for the long weekend, which meant fireworks the night of Victoria Day. W-O-W. They were short but very sweet, the bright explosions popping in the sky next to the illuminated American Falls.


The day was just as special though, and we were determined to make the most of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, which are undoubtedly more spectacular. Check out what they look like early in the morning when the mist is looking its most impressive...


The mist is what makes the attractions so special in Niagara Falls. The boat Maid of the Mist has now become Hornblower Niagara Cruises, but the experience is still as impressive as ever. It's hard to explain the adrenaline rush you get as the boat heads towards the falls and the mist drenches you from head to toe, so I'll let this photograph of Mr B do the talking!


CN Tower

On the second day of our trip we went up the CN Tower, which is very, very high. You might be able to get an idea of how tall it is by this picture of me below...


OK so that isn't too helpful, so why don't you see how the CN Tower looks amongst the rest of the city skyline? The tower is 553. 33m tall, with the main tourist areas a mere 114 building stories high.


And here's what a view from that height looks like in practice. It's totally awesome and a bit scary, but it is so worth it!


Toronto Zoo

I love to visit zoos whenever I travel to a city, and Toronto Zoo has long been one of my favourites. The polar bears were always my number one priority at the zoo, and I wasn't disappointed by the cub that was playing during my visit this time.


Something else I did when I was younger was go on a camel ride, so I figured it was a good time to do it again. I had to persuade Mr B and my Canadian friends to take part, but it is fair to say that we all loved it. It was an extra $6 on top of the zoo entry price, but it is something that got us all smiling (we were all suffering hangovers that morning).


But the thing that won me over completely was the newest exhibit - the pandas! I have wanted to see a panda for ages, especially knowing they are as close as Edinburgh Zoo. Yet at Toronto Zoo we were the only people watching them as it was a weekday before the peak season began. I probably could have stood there all day as they were so captivating! See what I mean?


Toronto Islands

On another weekday we took the ferry to the Toronto Islands. We took the Ward Island ferry as it is one of the quietest (most people go straight to Centre Island); from there we walked on the boardwalk to the bike hire hut and took off towards Hanlan's Point.


We saw a few interesting things such as a 'clothing optional' beach, and also had a chance to soak up a bit of the spring sunshine on another, clothing necessary beach. It was so peaceful on the island and is one of my top recommendations for people visiting who want to step away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Toronto for a couple of hours.


So there we go! There are plenty more stories and photographs that I will share in time, but I hope you've enjoyed that small snapshot into my holiday to Canada :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Let me know! I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment.