Thursday 29 May 2014

Oxford's Cherwell Boathouse: A Place To Eat And Relax

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a company called Goodman (http://oxfordbusinesspark.com/) who are busy putting together a local guide for those interested in working in the area. They wanted to know if I would contribute to the guide by writing a review of a local restaurant or attraction. Happy to get involved, I decided to head to the Cherwell Boathouse.

The venue

If you haven't heard of it before, Cherwell Boathouse is both a restaurant and attraction on the river (the Cherwell, funnily enough) just a couple of miles from the centre of Oxford. Having been there before and absolutely falling in love with the location, I was keen to head back there and sample a few more items on the menu. As you can see from the photograph below, there is a lot to like about this idyllic spot.


On the site there are over 80 handmade punts available to hire, and it looks pretty special when they are all lined up on the dock. However before you ask why there are so many boats unused in my photograph above, there is a huge demand for the boats in the summer months, but you can't blame people for preferring the warmth of their homes on a wet and windy day in the spring!

Aside from the appeal of the river, there is a cosy restaurant, and an equally enticing patio that can be used for an 'al fresco' experience without the worry of the weather. In the photograph below, the patio is situated on the left hand side, and the entrance to the main restaurant is through the white doors on the right hand side. Set behind the patio is a tea hut that is open year round for those who want a mug of hot tea after a punting session the river.


Of course, for my visit I was mostly focussed on the food, so let's head on inside the patio and have a look at what's on the menu.


The food

I had booked a table for a Sunday lunchtime as this was the quietest time they had available when I called to reserve a spot. This is worth noting, as Saturdays can be very busy at the restaurant with various functions taking place - it is wise to phone ahead by at least a week if you want to get a table without the last minute stress.

At the time I visited, the spring menu was the one being used, which can be seen in full above. There are a few options when it comes to meal choices, but I decided to order a 2 course set menu (OK, so I also bolted on a pudding once I had finished...). This appealed to me as some of the set menu options sounded totally delicious so it made sense to me to sample a couple of things!

Here's what I chose:

  • Starter - confit pork belly
  • Main - roast rump of Oxfordshire lamb
  • Dessert - crème brulee with raspberry compote (from the daily specials menu)

I had my fiancé Mr B with me and he had the potato and watercress soup, followed by the oven roasted corn-fed chicken breast. He didn't have a dessert, but finished his meal with a coffee instead. We both had a small glass of wine with our meals, which the Cherwell Boathouse is also known for - they actually hold wine tastings a few times throughout the year.

My starter


I have eaten pork belly in a few places before, presented in different ways. It is present on tapas menus, as well as in places such as the Boathouse. But never before have I been so happy with my choice. I usually enjoy the flavour of the dish, but become irritated at the chewy fat, but the meal at the Cherwell Boathouse was nothing but soft and smooth. The crackling was simply out of this world; I am a huge fan of varying textures, and it worked very well with the apple sauce.

My main


I didn't think that the main meal could surpass the starter, but the meat was sublime. Served pink as per the chef's recommendations, it sat on top of a bed of greens alongside a tall fondant potato. There was a Madeira jus served with the meal that brought everything together really nicely. The lamb was tender and flavoursome, and the vegetables were perfect for springtime.

The experience

The staff at the Cherwell Boathouse were very friendly, and were also helpful when it came to giving us recommendations on the menu - both in terms of wine and food. The restaurant environment was relaxing, and didn't come across too exclusive, whilst still providing a higher-end experience.


It is the perfect place for a celebration, a nice meal or even a business lunch. It is high up on the list of my recommendations for restaurants in Oxford - made extra special by the location! You should definitely head there if you want to escape the busyness of the city centre, whilst avoiding a long journey to a village in the countryside.

You can find the Cherwell Boathouse website online at http://www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk/. It can be found on Bardwell Road, Oxford, OX2 6ST. Restaurant reservations can be made by phone 01865 552746.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Let me know! I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment.