Tuesday 25 February 2014

DIY Cooking: Spanish Style Bolognese

I like to be organised as well as relatively wise with my cash, which is why I always do a shopping list before heading to the supermarket. As I was writing one up this week I had a strange inclination to ditch the usual minced beef for a bolognese, and I decided to swap it for some chorizo instead. Call me crazy but I decided to test this Italian/Spanish fusion and it turned out to be pretty amazing (if I may say so myself).

So if you fancy cooking up something a little bit different, why don't you give my recipe a go? It'll take you less than 30 minutes so it is perfect for an evening after work!


Ingredients (serves 2-3 people)


  • 4 chorizo sausages
  • 1 large onion - finely chopped
  • 1 small courgette - finely chopped
  • Handful of mushrooms - sliced
  • Handful of cherry tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
  • Can of chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp tomato purée
  • 200g pasta
  • Pinch of chilli flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Half cup of boiling water
  • Beef stock cube
  • Handful of grated cheese

Making Your Spanish Style Bolognese

  1. Preheat oven to 190-200 degrees Celsius
  2. Prepare vegetables (wash, chop, slice)
  3. Boil full kettle of water
  4. When oven is hot, put in the chorizo for approximately 12 minutes
  5. Put pasta onto the boil
  6. Heat frying pan and cook courgette, adding in onion, tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms after a couple of minutes
  7. Put chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, boiling water, stock cube and chilli flakes in heavy based pan
  8. When vegetables are browned, add to the pan with the sauce base and stir
  9. Continue cooking until chorizo is ready, and add small chunks to the bolognese
  10. Use a hand blender on a low setting, leaving chunks to the size you wish
  11. Drain pasta and mix into bolognese
  12. Serve with pepper and cheese
Ta-dah! Let me know if you give it a go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Let me know! I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment.